Have you copied the music tracks on your favorite CDs to your computer and now you would like to pass them on to your smartphone to be able to listen to them anytime and anywhere? Well, that sounds like a great idea to me. How do you say? You completely agree with me, but would like to convert the original format of the songs into one that takes up less space on your device and you don’t know how to do it? No problem, to do this, just use special programs to convert music and you’re done.
Precisely in this regard, below you will find a rich overview of those that, in my humble opinion, represent the best software in the category: there are many, both for Windows and for macOS and Linux. There are even some solutions that can be used directly online, without having to download anything to your computer, and apps for smartphones and tablets suitable for the purpose. You just have to choose the solution that you think will do the most for you to start converting songs immediately.
Therefore, if you are actually interested in the question, I suggest you take a few minutes of free time, make yourself comfortable and concentrate on reading what is reported below. I am sure that, in the end, you will be able to tell you that you are more than satisfied and that in case of need you will also be ready and happy to inform all your friends who are eager to receive some similar advice. Let it bet?
Best Free Music converter programs for windows 10 macOS
If you are looking for programs to convert free music from your computer, I strongly advise you to test the solutions of this type that I have provided below. They are available for Windows and macOS , and also for Linux .
The first of the programs to convert music that I want to suggest is Fre:ac , an open source software that is extremely simple to use and capable of converting MP3, MP4/M4A, WMA, Ogg Vorbis, FLAC, AAC, WAV, Bonk and Audio CDs. Among other features included in it that it is worth mentioning there is the possibility of converting entire music libraries that maintain the structure of folders and files. It’s completely free of charge and is compatible with Windows, macOS and Linux.
To download fre:ac on PC, you can go directly to the Microsoft Store of Windows 10 and Windows 11. Alternatively, visit the program’s website and click on the link Self extracting installer (64 bit): freac-xxxx. exe or the Self extracting installer (32 bit): freac-xxxx.exe (depending on the version of Windows you are using). If you use a Mac instead, click on the link Intel and Apple Silicon Macs, macOS 11.0: freac-xxx-macos11.dmg .
When the download is complete, if you are using Windows and have decided not to go to the Microsoft Store, open the .exe file obtained and, in the window that appears on the screen, click the Yes button . Then set Italian as the language for the interface, click on the Next and Yes buttons , press the Next button again (four consecutive times) and the Finish button . After that, launch the program, by selecting its shortcut added to the Start menu .
If you are using macOS , however, open the .dmg package obtained and move the fre:ac icon to the Mac Applications folder . Then, right-click on it, choose the Open item in the context menu and press the Open button that appears on the screen, in order to go around the limitations desired by Apple against applications from non-certified developers (an operation that must be carried out only on first start-up).
After completing the above steps, close the fre:ac support screen, click on the button with the white sheet at the top and select the audio files you are interested in going to act on or drag these files directly to the software window.
If necessary, intervene on the encoding parameters by clicking on the wrench button located at the top, selecting the correct codec from the Codec drop-down menu in the window that opens, pressing the Set button and intervening through the additional window displayed.
Finally, click on the arrow next to the green button with the play symbol , choose the output format you prefer using the menu that appears and wait for the conversion process to start and complete.
Please note that by default the converted files are saved in the Music folder of your computer, but if you wish you can indicate a different one by clicking on the Browse button in the lower left before starting the conversion process.
MediaHuman Audio Converter (Windows/macOS)
MediaHuman Audio Converter is another program to convert music that you should seriously consider. It is an extremely intuitive and powerful software that allows you to convert all the main audio file formats: WMA, MP3, AAC, WAV, FLAC, OGG, AIFF and Apple Lossless. Among the main functions it is undoubtedly worth mentioning the support for batch conversions, the automatic search for album covers and the possibility of leaving the folder structure unchanged with the files to be acted on during the conversion. It works on Windows and macOS and it’s free.
To download MediaHuman Audio Converter to your computer, visit its website and click the operating system logo button on the left.
When the download is complete, if you are using Windows , open the .exe file obtained and, in the window that you see appearing on the desktop, click on the Yes button and select the option I accept the terms of the license agreement . Then press the Next button (four consecutive times) and complete the setup by pressing the Install and Finish buttons .
If you are using macOS , however, open the .dmg package that contains the software and drag the latter’s icon into the Applications folder of the computer, then right-click on it, select the Open item from the context menu and press the Open button in window on the screen, so as to circumvent the limitations imposed by Apple on third-party developers (an operation that must be performed only on first launch).
Now that you see the MediaHuman Audio Converter window on the screen, select the music you want to convert by pressing the (+) button located at the top or drag the related files directly into the program window.
After that, expand the Format drop-down menu located at the top right and select the output format you prefer from the menu in the further opened window. Therefore, define the option relating to the quality of the song you want to obtain through the second menu and click on the Close button to save your preferences.
In conclusion, press the button with the two arrows at the top right and wait for the file conversion procedure to complete.
By default, the converted songs are saved in the Music > Convert by MediaHuman folder on your computer, but if you want you can change the path in advance by clicking on the wrench button and pressing the Browse button in the Destination folder section in the further window shown .
Other programs to convert music for free
None of the programs for converting music that I have already pointed out to you has particularly convinced you and would you like me to show you other solutions ? No sooner said than done! You can find them in the following list.
- Mobile Media Converter (Windows / macOS / Linux) — it is a free and cross-platform software through which it is possible to convert not only audio files, but also video ones, acting on all the most popular formats. On Windows there is also a portable version.
- Switch Audio File Converter (Windows/macOS) — is free software (for personal use only) that works on both Windows and macOS and allows you to convert from and to all popular audio file formats. You can also adjust advanced conversion settings, all quite easily.
- Format Factory (Windows) — this is a universal converter among the best of its kind. It allows you not only to convert music, but also videos and images from and to the main formats compatible with PCs and mobile devices. It is in Italian, very easy to use and extremely fast in conversions. It’s free and it’s only for Windows operating systems.
Programs to convert music online
You don’t want or you can’t download “real” software on your computer and, therefore, would you like me to suggest programs to convert music online , working directly from the browser? No problem! You can find them listed below. Keep in mind that they all protect user privacy, removing files uploaded to their servers a few hours after uploading.
Audio converter by 123apps
Among the best programs to convert music working from the Web there is certainly the Audio Converter of 123Apps . It’s free and allows you to convert over 300 formats (including video) in an incredibly simple and intuitive way, even by acting in batches. It also allows you to change some more advanced parameters related to the output.
To use the 123app Audio Converter, go to its home page, click on the Open files button and select the audio file located on your computer that you want to edit. If the audio file is online, you can also get it from Google Drive, Dropbox or by providing its URL by clicking on the appropriate links .
Now, select the output format you prefer from the menu in the center and, if you deem it necessary and if possible, adjust the quality by moving the slider on the bottom bar.
I point out that you can also click on the Advanced settings button located on the right to intervene on sampling, bit rate and other parameters, while pressing the Edit track information button you can edit the information relating to the returned audio file.
Finally, click on the Convert button and wait for the conversion procedure to complete, then download the returned audio file to your computer by pressing the Download button or archive it in the cloud by choosing the appropriate links.
Other programs to convert music online
If you are looking for other solutions to convert your music directly online, I invite you to consider those of this type that I have included in the list below.
- CloudConvert — is a Web service through which conversion operations can be performed with any type of file and which also supports various other formats (over 200), both in input and output and not just audio. It is free and does not apply upload limits, but can be used for a maximum of 10 minutes a day and also has other restrictions that can be circumvented by registering and possibly also subscribing to one of the subscription plans (with prices starting from 8.54 euros /month).
- Zamzar — further converter usable via the Web that allows you to intervene on various types of files, including audio ones, of course. Basically it’s free, but by subscribing to a paid plan (with costs starting at $9/month) you can increase your storage space, remove advertising, etc.
- Media.io — Web service that allows you to perform conversion operations on all popular audio file formats. It has a nice user interface and is totally free.
App to convert music
As anticipated at the beginning, there are several apps to convert music that can be used directly from smartphones and tablets, both on Android and iOS / iPadOS . If this interests you, below you will find a list of those that in my opinion are the best in the category.
- MP3 Video Converter (Android) — totally free and easy to use app for Android through which you can convert audio and video files from and to any format. It also allows you to define the bitrate and other miscellaneous parameters.
- Audio Converter — All Formats (Android) — another free Android-only app that allows you to convert to and from all major audio formats
- Audio Converter (iOS/iPadOS) — is an app only for iPhone and iPad that allows you to convert audio files to all popular formats. It’s free, but to unlock all the features you need to make in-app purchases (at the base price of 4.49 euros).
- Media Converter — video to mp3 (iOS/iPadOS) — contrary to what the name suggests, this specific app for iPhone and iPad allows you to convert both audio and video, supporting countless formats. It also integrates a video player and also allows you to open compressed archives. Basically it’s free, but in-app purchases must be made to unlock all the functions (at the basic price of 0.99 euros).
Program to convert music from YouTube to MP3 free
If you’re wondering if there is also some program to convert music from YouTube to MP3 for free , I inform you that the answer is yes. In fact, there are several useful solutions for this purpose. For further information, I refer you to consulting my guide dedicated specifically to how to extract MP3s from YouTube.
Program to convert music to sheet music
You ended up on this tutorial of mine because you were actually looking for a program to convert music to score , but were you disappointed by the fact that the solutions already reported don’t allow you to do it? No problem! Take a look at my review dedicated to music writing programs now and you will see that you will find what you really need.